Booking space and activities
With a unique farm and forest setting right here in Vancouver, the UBC Farm provides a stunning site for your group to come together for celebrations, ceremonies, and learning.
People from around the world have discovered the UBC Farm as guests to festivals, conferences, long table dinners, weddings, corporate parties, reunions, field dinners, meetings and retreats, bonfires, outdoor movie screenings, photo shoots and more. Find out how to rent the UBC Farm for your event, organize a guided tour, book a custom workshop, or a kid’s birthday party.
Celebrate your child’s birthday at the UBC Farm
FarmWonders at the UBC Farm offers an educational and fun birthday package for kids 3 to 16 years old through the spring and summer seasons. When you and your party arrive at the UBC Farm, we will start on an hour and a half guided tour of the farm. Depending on the season and your child’s interests we will take them through a variety of activities and topics while outdoors.
- Using all your sense to identify plants and food
- Visiting the chickens
- Learning about compost
- Leaf tasting
- Learning about the seasons
- Identifying bugs
- Exploring the forest
- Games in the fields
After the tour, you will have an hour booking in our Mongolian yurt for the rest of your birthday party activities and lunch! The room is a self-serve venue; you are welcome to decorate it however you like, bring food and drink and rearrange the tables and chairs while the children are touring the farm.
We offer Birthday Parties on Saturdays only from 10:30am to 1:00pm
- May and June Dates: All booked!
- July and August: Sorry, not available
- September and October: To be announced
- $225 + GST for a maximum of 15 children
- Add $75 to bring up a maximum of 30 children
Submit a booking form here
Contact us Monday through Friday, between 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Phone: 604-822-5092
- Email: email@example.com
- Payments can be made by cheque or cash.
- To confirm a booking we request that the organizer visit the Farm Centre office and put down a 50 percent deposit or make the payment in full.
- Full payment is due by the booking date.
- Cancellations made after seven days from booking date will be subject to a 50 percent cancellation fee.
- No cancellations within 48 hours of the booking date.
- A 25 percent re-booking fee will apply if you change the date of your party within two weeks of the party date
Want to support the UBC Farm? As a non-profit society we depend on the generosity of our donors to continue operating our programs and research. Instead of birthday gifts, consider asking your guests and family to make a donation to the UBC Farm. Ask guests to donate online or bring a cash donation to the party.
Booking Your Event
Consider booking our indoor and outdoor spaces for your next eventThe UBC Farm is a working farm on the unceded territory of the Musqueam People. We share this space with the UBC community and beyond to allow diverse groups of people to enjoy the beautiful, rustic setting of farm and forest. A self-serve space, it allows a great deal of flexibility for community members to create their ideal event.
The UBC Farm provides some amenities and resources, but the details of the event are the responsibility of the renter, including rental equipment, sound, lighting, chairs, tables, catering etc. Many spaces are regularly used by our own programming so book well in advance of your preferred date to secure your spot.
Tell us what type of gathering you are planning through the bookings request form below and our site administrator will get in touch about our availability. We review all requests on a case-by-case basis to ensure all events fit within the spirit and mandate of the Centre for Sustainable Food Systems.
We are now booking for 2019.
- Review the Community Bookings Guidelines. This document provides information about our site rules, booking rates and procedures.
- Schedule a site visit or put a date on hold by submitting a Space Booking Request Form
- If you have never been to the UBC Farm before and your date is available, UBC Farm staff will contact you to arrange a visit to the site to ensure you are fully aware of the site's conditions.
- After discussing the details of your event with our site coordinator and receiving approval for your event, we will issue you a formal quote.
- Once your event is approved, pay the confirmation deposit to secure the booking.
- Once the prospective renter has toured the site, the date may be held without a deposit for up to 1 week, upon request. This does not guarantee your date. We will attempt to reach you if another party shows interest. Once notified, 48 hours will be given to secure the booking by submitting a deposit, otherwise, your date will be made available to other renters.
- Space Use Contracts:
- UBC groups: For UBC groups (e.g. faculties, departments, courses) paying for their bookings via JV, we will determine if a proposed event is suitable and provide permission for use. No legal contract is required, though payment details apply. 20% discount and no-GST is applied to your booking total.
- Private rentals: A signed contract is required for all rentals by non-UBC renters. This agreement takes some time to process, as it has to be reviewed and signed by the University Counsel’s office. Farm staff will work with you to complete this agreement. This process needs to be started at least 8 weeks prior to your event date.
- Please note that your total rental fee must be confirmed for this contract to be completed; it is ideal to determine your dates and times for your booking as soon as possible to avoid delaying this process and losing your preferred date.
Come to the UBC Farm to engage your group in hands-on experiences – customized just for you!
We offer custom programs for a range of audiences, from corporate team-building and service-learning to tour group experiences and celebratory events such as birthdays or reunions. We work with you to design a unique program tailored to fit your group’s goals.
Join us for one or a combination of the following:
- A hands-on sustainable living skills workshop
- Get physical by engaging in a farming task (note: availability depends on season)
- A tour of the Farm, including (when available) tasting samples of freshly harvested produce
- Enjoy a catered meal together in a beautiful setting
Sample four-hour program
|9:00 am||Meet at UBC Farm, Introduction, & Farm Tour||75 min|
|10:15 am||Farming Task OR Workshop||90 min|
|11:45 am||Wrap-Up / Transition||15 min|
|12:00 pm||Catered Lunch||60 min|
Varies ($15-$50+/per person), depending on group size, and specific selections. After processing your request form, we will provide a quote and a brief description of the workshop and/or farm task. As a general guide for pricing (the numbers here are approximate), here is a table to assist in planning your custom workshop. (Note: official UBC-affiliated units that pay by internal transfer will receive a 20% discount.)
Prices are per person (unless indicated otherwise):
|10-20 people||21-30 people||31-50 people||51+ people|
|Workshop Range (longer workshops with greater supplies expenses will fall in higher range)||$30 - $50+||$25 - $45+||$20-$40+||$15-$35+|
|+ Hands-on Farm Task (90 min)||+$10 - $20||+$8 - $10||+$6 - $8||+$4 - $6|
|+ Hands-on Farm Task (120 min)||+$12 - $22||+$10 - $12||+$8 - $10||+$6 - $8|
|+ Hands-on Farm Task (180 min)||+$14 - $24||+$12 - $14||+$10 - $12||+$8 - $10|
Tour Fees (flat rate):
|10-20 people||21-30 people||31-50 people||51+ people|
|+ Tour (30 min)||+$60||+$60||+$120||+$120+|
|+ Tour (60 min)||+$100||+$100||+$200||+$200+|
|10-20 people||21-30 people||31-50 people||51+ people|
|+ Catered Bag Lunch (sandwich, fruit, cookie)||+$18 pp||+$18 pp||+$18 pp||+$18 pp|
|+ Catered Hot Lunch (entrée only – buffet style)||+$18-$20 pp||+$18-$20 pp||+$18-$20 pp||+$18-$20 pp|
|+ Catered Hot Lunch (entrée, salad, dessert—buffet style)||+$28 pp||+$28 pp||+$28 pp||+$28 pp|
|+ Catered Long Table Lunch/Dinner (plated, buffet, or family style, with service staff)||+custom quote||+custom quote||+custom quote||+custom quote|
|+ UBC Farm salad (seasonally available)||+$50-$75 (total)||+$75-$100 (total)||+$100 - $125 (total)||+$125+ (total)|
|+ Self-catered Meal w/ use of indoor facility||+$100 (+ additional fees, depending on event timing)||+$100 (+ additional fees depending on event timing)||+$150 (+ additional fees depending on event timing)||$200 (+ additional fees depending on event timing)|
|+ Self-catered Meal w/ use of indoor facility, including kitchen/cutlery/plates||+$200 (+ additional fees, depending on event timing)||+$200 (+ additional fees depending on event timing)||$300 (+ additional fees depending on event timing)||$400 (+additional fees depending on event timing)|
Thank you for your interest in a custom workshop at UBC Farm. Please complete and submit the online request form below. Requests should be submitted at least four weeks in advance, and preferably earlier. Please note that requests can take up to ten business days to process.
Guided Tours at the UBC Farm
Join us to learn about the food system
Learn about food sustainability by immersing yourself in the landscape of a working certified organic farm and research, community and teaching hub! Join us for a guided tour of the UBC Farm. The UBC Farm provides a unique site for learning about global issues in food systems in the context of a 24-hectare certified organic farm with integrated community-engaged educational programming, research, and teaching. Our tours bring visitors of all ages through the dynamic UBC Farm site to learn about each of the topics that interest your group the most, such as: biodiversity, education, sustainable agriculture, food systems, Indigenous lands and medicines, food sovereignty, and innovative research.
Review our three tour programs below to determine which is the best fit for your group and please fill out one request form only. We will do our best to accommodate all requests, but we encourage you to request tours at least two weeks in advance to ensure availability.
For groups of 10 people or fewer, you are welcome to join us on Saturdays during our market season (June through October) at 11:00AM for a one-hour general tour of UBC Farm led by our Saturday Market staff. Market tours leave from the lawn in front of our Saturday market and are free for the public.
If your group consists of youth up to the age of 18 or grade 12, we would be excited to host your visit through our FarmWonders Field Trip program.
Every year from spring to fall, the UBC Farm offers field trip programming for a wide range of young audiences. FarmWonders Field Trips provide an opportunity for youth to see and learn about a working certified organic farm and to discuss important social and ecological aspects of food production in our area. Join us to learn about bees, explore the forest, examine soil or compost, and even visit the chickens!
If your group is affiliated with the University of British Columbia or another university/college, our Academic Tour program would be happy to tailor a tour for your needs.
The Centre for Sustainable Food Systems provides a suite of academic services for college and university groups including guided tours, guest lectures, community service learning, and bookable classroom/learning space both indoors and outdoors at UBC Farm. Tours are held on site throughout the year, are a minimum of one hour in length, and can be tailored according to your curricular objectives.
To book a tour, please fill out our Course Collaboration Request Form.
View our Academic Services fees.
If your group is not affiliated with a university/college and is not a youth group, our Community Group Tours program is for you.
|On-site guided tour for one (1) to six (6) guests||$50/hour||Tour lasts one hour and is led by a CSFS tour guide|
|On-site guided tour for seven (7) to thirty (30) guests||$100/hour||Tour lasts one hour and is led by a CSFS tour guide|
|On-site guided tour for more than thirty (30) guests||$5 for each additional guest OR $100 for an additional CSFS tour guide||Fee is assessed and dependent on the number of participants. May require the visit to be split into several time slots or require more than one guide (max 30 people per guide)|
Please note that an additional 5% GST will be added for all community tours. Payment can be made in cash or cheque. Let us know ahead of time if you require an invoice or receipt. If cost is a barrier, we are happy to talk to you further about it at firstname.lastname@example.org.