Why do we run our markets? To explore and exemplify healthy and sustainable food systems by hosting seasonal markets that support the local food economy and increase food sustainability literacy within the UBC campus and the broader Vancouver community.
Discover the UBC Farm through your tastebuds! Get your local, certified organic, farm-fresh seasonal veggies, fruits, herbs, flowers and free-range eggs straight from the UBC Farm. Throughout the growing season we offer three markets each week, two at the UBC Farm and one at the UBC Bookstore. Our multi-vendor Saturday markets always have a line by 9AM of shoppers eager to get farm-fresh produce, local meats, baked goods, mushrooms, crafts and prepared foods from the UBC Farm and the diverse vendors who sell alongside us while local musicians entertain the crowd. Come out and join in on the delicious fun!
Our markets are a vital component of the UBC Farm. It is a regular opportunity for us to meet you – our community supporters and engage the public in our work. Behind the scenes it is also an important learning experience for our volunteers and students to have in agricultural business management, marketing and community leadership.
The farm offers three weekly markets in different forms from early June through mid-October, as well as occasional farm gate sales during the winter seasons. Often our seasonal u-picks for blueberries, pumpkins, hops and more will be scheduled alongside our markets. To be the first to know about market news, join our market fans and subscribe to our weekly community newsletter.
Alternating Tuesdays, 4:30pm-5:30pm at the UBC Farm: April 4, April 18, May 2, May 16, May 30
Until our summer farmers markets begin in June, the UBC Farm is hosting a spring pop-up market every other Tuesday at the Farm. Enjoy our seasonal, farm-fresh, and certified organic produce and find out why shoppers line up early at our summer markets to get their hands on the best eggs in town! Enjoy the flavour and nutrition of fresh eggs from our free-range, rotational-grazing chicken flock, and before shopping at the pop-up market you can even visit the chickens or walk our fields to see what’s growing. We will also have a wide variety of UBC Farm seeds available for all of your spring gardening projects in addition to fresh and dried herbs to spice up your cooking.
Cash, debit and credit cards accepted and customers are asked to bring their own bags. See you at the market!
To be the first to know about market news, join our market fans and subscribe to our weekly community newsletter.
Saturdays, 9:00am-1:00pm at the UBC Farm: June 3 to October 28, 2017
Come out for a lively farmers market right here at the UBC Farm every Saturday! In addition to farm-fresh veggies, fruits, herbs, flowers and free-range eggs from the UBC Farm, the Saturday Farm Market also features a variety of other local growers, bakers, craftspeople, prepared food, and live musicians.
Since 2001, the on-site Saturday Farm Market has provided a unique venue for experiential education and student research, including everything from agricultural business management and marketing to nutritional analysis.
- Payment – Cash is the preferred method of payment. Interac and credit card are also accepted. Cheques are accepted for purchases over $30. Please note that many other vendors present at the market only accept cash.
- Parking – Please park outside of the farm gate in the lot or on Ross Drive. Three spots in our parking lot are reserved for persons of limited mobility. As parking space is limited, market customers are encouraged to carpool, bus, bike, or walk to the farm. See our Directions, Hours, and Contact Information page for directions and maps. Please drive carefully and watch for pedestrians, children and cyclists.
- Plastic bag charge – In order to reduce consumption of plastic bags, the UBC Farm charges 10 cents per plastic produce bag used (there is no charge for pre-bagged items). Customers are encouraged to bring and reuse plastic produce bags and inform the cashiers when they have done so.
- Bring your own shopping bags – Market customers are encouraged to bring reusable shopping bags in which to pack your purchases. The UBC Farm will gladly accept donations of clean, used grocery bags to have on hand.
- Eggs – Egg quantities are limited (the hens can only produce so much!) and in high demand. To ensure that as many people as possible can sample this popular treat, there is a limit of one dozen eggs per family.
- Farm tours – The UBC Farm offers free public tours at 11:00am each Saturday during the market. Please meet on the hill above the market five minutes prior. These public tours are provided for individuals, families and small groups interested (10 people or less) in learning more about the UBC Farm. Please dress weather appropriately (and with sturdy footwear) as tours can get messy while walking around farm fields and gardens! For groups of more than 10 or with specific learning objectives, visit our Guided Tours page to book a customized tour with us.
Tuesdays, 4:00pm-6:30pm at the UBC Farm: June 13 to October 31 2017
The UBC Farm Tuesday evening market features our farm-fresh veggies, fruits, herbs, flowers and free-range eggs. Stop by and pick up some fresh ingredients for dinner! Cash is the preferred method of payment. Interac and credit card are also accepted. Customers are asked to bring their own bags.
Wednesdays, 11:30am-1:30pm at the UBC Bookstore: June 7 to November 1 2017
The UBC Farm Wednesday Campus Market features an assortment of fresh UBC Farm produce and flowers. This mid-week market in front of the UBC Bookstore offers students, staff and faculty members a convenient opportunity to purchase UBC Farm produce. Cash is the preferred method of payment. Interac and credit card are also accepted. Customers are asked to bring their own bags.
Interested in busking at our market? The market offers buskers a place to perform in a beautiful setting, watching eagles soar overhead and families picnic on the grass while they get the chance to meet and engage with the local community, growers, and vendors. Buskers can apply at any time; more information (including how to apply) can be found here.
Interested in becoming a vendor at our market?
Our Saturday market offers great opportunities for new and returning vendors with a growing and untapped customer base, ease of access, promotional support, low fees, fantastic community, and an unparalleled experience on a beautiful farm setting in the city! Applications are on a rolling basis; we welcome applications during the market season! Here is what we are looking for at our Saturday markets in 2017:
- Prepared food
- Coffee, tea, beverages
- Gluten-free baked goods
- Craft products (soap products, knitwear, jewelry, wood crafts, pottery, etc.)
- Nursery products
- Service vendors (knife sharpening, massage, bike repairs, etc.)
- Liquor - beer, wine, cider and spirits
- Entertainers and musicians are also welcome to busk at our markets. Please apply here.
Here is what you need to do:
- Check that you make, bake, grow, or provide the service yourself.
- As a member of the British Columbia Association of Farmers’ Markets (BCAFM), our market adheres to the Association’s leading principle, which states that all products sold at the market must be made, baked, grown, raised, wild harvested or caught in BC by the vendor themselves.
- Review the 2017 UBC Farm Market Vendor Guide
- This document explains more about our market as well as market fees, logistics, guidelines, policies, health and safety, and how to apply. It is important that you are familiar with our market policies and information before applying. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions after reviewing this information.
- Returning vendors
- Please review the 2017 UBC Farm Market Vendor Guide carefully, as several of our policies and fees have changed.
- NOTE: If you are introducing new product(s) to your booth this year (or at any time during the year), the new product(s) must be updated on your Manage My Market profile and may be subject to review by market staff.
- Apply online and pay your application fee
- New and returning vendors must complete an application. Applications for 2017 are currently open and the link to the application process can be found in our 2017 UBC Farm Market Vendor Guide. Applications can be submitted on a rolling basis prior to and throughout the season. The application fee must be paid at the time of the application. Please email us at email@example.com prior to your application if you have questions regarding the suitability of your product for our market.
- Once approved, ensure you meet all requirements
- If you have been approved to sell at the market, please submit your fees, ensure that you meet all the signage and documentation requirements outlined in the 2017 UBC Farm Market Vendor Guide, and you are ready to sell at the market!
- Pay the Weekly Vendor Fee
- Pay your weekly vendor fee 30 days from the date of invoice or 1 week prior to each market, whichever comes first.
- Join us on Market Day, sell your products and enjoy the experience!
- Once your market dates have been confirmed, prepare to join us at the market! You will receive a weekly email notifying you of your stall assignment and relevant market updates.