Market Recipe Blog: Fall Bounty Flatbread
Red lentil hummus, seasonal roasted kabocha, caramelized onions, and kale are all featured on this beautiful fall flatbread. A warming, colourful and delicious meal that you’ll want to share with friends and family!
Fall Bounty Flatbread (Vegan)Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 4 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp olive oil + more as needed
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 2 to 4 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup plain unsweetened yogurt (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 to 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Vegetable oil
- ½ medium kabocha squash, cut into strips
- 1 onion of your choice, thinly sliced
- A splash of balsamic vinegar (optional)
- ½ bunch kale, washed and chopped into ribbons
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Balsamic glaze
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Cook lentils in a generous 3 cups of water and cook according to package directions. Once cooked through, drain thoroughly.
- Toss chopped carrots and garlic cloves in about a tablespoon of olive oil with turmeric, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Toss the kabocha squash in oil, salt, and pepper as well. Spread out the vegetables into a single layer on a baking tray (keeping the carrots and squash on separated) and roast at 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until fork-tender and lightly charred. Once cool enough to handle, peel the garlic cloves.
- In a food processor, blend the lentils, roasted carrot, peeled garlic, remaining olive oil, miso, lemon juice, and tahini until smooth.
- Briefly mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add the yogurt into the well. Mix with a spatula or your clean hands until a rough dough is formed.
- Flip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or two.
- Divide the dough into 4 balls. Flatten each ball into an oblong shape until about ¼” thick.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add about 2 tsp of cooking oil to the pan per flatbread, and once the oil is hot, fry the shaped dough one at a time. Cook 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown and puffed up.
- Heat about 2 tsp vegetable oil in the same skillet used to cook the flatbread. Cook onions until caramelized and add a splash of balsamic vinegar near the end of cooking. Add the kale to the pan and sautee until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread a generous layer of hummus on each flatbread. Top with sauteed kale, roasted squash, a drizzle of balsamic glaze, and pumpkin seeds. Keep warm in an oven at the lowest temperature until ready to serve.
Pick up produce at any of our three weekly markets: Tuesdays 4-6:30PM at the UBC Farm, Wednesdays 11:30AM-1:30PM at the UBC Bookstore, and Saturdays 10AM-2PM at UBC Farm. Learn more about our produce and browse other recipes in our Market Recipe Blog. Recieve regular market recipes from our newsletter here.