UBC Farm Fall Fair
Saturday September 17, 2022 from 10:00AM-2:00PM
Celebrate the changing seasons and learn about sustainable food at our fourth annual Fall Fair, where you can get your fill of fall bounty fruits and vegetables alongside u-pick pumpkins, pie contest and tasting, a CANOVI Carrot tasting and Chef demo, live music, kids’ activities, weirdest veggie contest, and more!
Just in time for the return of students to campus the UBC Farm Fall Fair is your chance to learn how to get involved in our research and teaching in sustainable food systems and celebrate the harvest with fellow students, faculty, staff, alumni and neighbours.
First Place in the Pie Contest: Yascha with “Pear with Hazelnut Frangipane and Cardamom”
For the frangipane:
For the filling:
Step 1: Place the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process at high speed for 15 seconds. Add the chunks of butter and pulse until the mixture looks crumbly. Add the water and pulse until the dough comes together in a ball. Place the dough on a work surface. Form a single ball and flatten with the palm of your hand to make a 1 1/2″ thick circle. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes until cold, but still pliable.
Step 2: Preheat the oven to 350F. To make the frangipane – Place the hazelnuts and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and process until the hazelnuts are very finely ground. Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the soft butter. Whip at medium speed until the mixture is creamy, about 1 minute. Add the egg and continue whipping at medium speed until thick and ribonny, about 2 more minutes. Spread the hazelnut frangipane in the prepared tart shell. Peel the pears, trim both ends, then cut each pear in half lengthwise and core them. Slice each half lengthwise into 1/4″ slices, holding the slices together as you slice them. Slightly spread the slices and arrange them on top of the frangipane.
Step 3: Place the cold butter, lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture starts to foam, stirring continuously. Transfer to a small bowl and brush the pears with half the mixture. Bake the tart for 30 to 35 minutes at 350F until the frangipane is golden. Remove from oven, brush the pears with the balance of the butter-sugar mixture and let cool to room temperature.
Join us for a celebration of the harvest and enjoy a fun-filled day:
- Live music from our market musicians
- Farm photo booth
- Pie contest – public pie tasting by donation ($5 donation suggested)
- Free farm tours explaining our active research and programs
- CANOVI Carrot variety tasting and chef demo with UBC Food Services Sous Chef, Johnny Bridge. Learn more about the CANOVI project’s carrot breeding work here!
- U-pick pumpkin piles
- Food and coffee trucks
- Hands-on activities for kids
- Weirdest vegetable contest (Bring them to our market outreach booth to enter!)
- More than 30 different local vendors selling produce, fruit, meat, mushrooms, eggs, baked goods, beverages, sweet treats, alcohol, artisan goods, and more
- Information showcasing all the research, teaching and learning happening at the UBC Farm
- Information on how to get involved with food security initiatives on UBC campus
Date and Time
Saturday September 17, 2022 | 10:00AM – 2:00PM
UBC Farm | 3461 Ross Drive
FREE / Pie tasting by donation!