Market Recipe Blog: Pumpkin Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Pumpkin Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Give your mac n’ cheese a fall twist with this pumpkin variation topped with pumpkin seeds! This would be a fantastic fall dish to serve at any dinner party, as a weeknight meal, or a lovely side for the upcoming holiday season.Yield: 3-4 servings
- ½ cup roughly crushed tortilla chips
- 2 tbsp raw shelled pumpkin seeds
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- Cooking oil
- 4 cups dry macaroni (optional: use gluten-free macaroni)
- 1 russet potato, cubed
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (from one small pie pumpkin, roasted until soft and flesh scooped out)
- 1 cup shredded aged cheddar cheese OR ¾ cup + 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, divided (vegan option)
- 1 tbsp mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked pepper
- ½ to ⅔ cup water
- Bring a medium-large pot of water to a boil. Steam or boil the cubed potato until fork-tender. Keep the boiling water and use it to cook your macaroni according to package directions. Drain when pasta is al dente.
- Prepare the crunchy topping by mixing crushed tortilla chips, pumpkin seeds, dried parsley, and 2 tbsp nutritional yeast. Spread this mixture onto a baking sheet, spray it with cooking oil, and toast at 375 F until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a food processor, blend the cooked potato, pumpkin puree, 3/4 cup nutritional yeast, mustard, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup water until very smooth. Adjust flavours and consistency as needed.
- Combine cooked pasta with sauce and mix until coated. Transfer to a serving dish and top with topping mixture. Serve while warm.
Pick up produce at any of our three weekly markets: Tuesdays 4-6:30PM at the UBC Farm, Wednesdays 11:30AM-1:30PM at the UBC Bookstore, and Saturdays 10AM-2PM at UBC Farm. Learn more about our produce and browse other recipes in our Market Recipe Blog. Recieve regular market recipes from our newsletter here.